PROGRAM FAST FACTS
Milwaukee Teacher Education Center has a cohort that begins in the Fall (May) and the Spring (January).
Milwaukee Teacher Education Center intern are assigned a mentor who visits the intern’s classroom on a regular basis to set goals, observe and provide feedback on the intern’s knowledge, dispositions, and instructional and classroom practices.
The program is tuition-based and costs approximately $17,100. Tuition costs can change from one year to the next.
Milwaukee Teacher EducationCenter interns are hired as employees of the school or district as serve as teacher-of-record by a school and/or district and earn the equivalent of a beginning teachers’ salary in the school and/or district they are working in.
INITIAL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM FAQ’s
What are the admission requirements of the program?
- Must have a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education
- Must be eligible for a license with stipulations
- Completed application process (see application requirements)
- Evidence of Basic Skills
- Satisfactory Criminal Background Check
- Admission Interview
- Math or science major or the equivalent of a major for individuals interested in obtaining a math or science certification.
How do I apply?
The following items need to be completed and submitted as part of the applications process:
- Application form
- $65 non-refundable application fee
- 2 official degree-bearing undergraduate transcripts (not “issued to student”) from the college/university that granted your degree
- 1 official transcript from each college/university attended in addition to the institution that granted your degree (e.g. transfer credits, post-Baccalaureate coursework, graduate-level coursework, Master’s coursework)
- 3 professional letters of recommendation dated within the last year and manually signed by the author
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline for each cohort can be found on the All Certifications page.
Do I need teaching experience to participate in the program?
How long does the program take?
Will I earn a degree through this program?
What courses are required and when are they offered?
Can I use the courses I have previously taken in lieu of some of the courses required in your program?
What is expected of teaching interns?
I would like to teach high school math or science. Do I need to hold a degree in math or science?
I’m interested in teaching high school English or Social Studies. Is Milwaukee Teacher Education Center the right program for me?
Should I quit my current job once I’m accepted in the Initial Teacher Certification Program?
Can I still work other jobs once I start the program?
My undergraduate GPA is below a 2.5. Is there anything I can do?
I’m interested in participating in the Milwaukee Teacher Education Center Initial Teacher Certification program. How do I get started?
Should I wait until I have all my application documents completed and together before I send them in?
Once I submit all my application materials, what happens next?
Whom should I contact if I have questions about the program or I’m experiencing difficulty completing the application process?
What basic skills am I expected to show evidence of?
How do I know if I need to demonstrate English proficiency?
You need to demonstrate English proficiency if you…. Are an individual whose first language is one other than English and received your degree from a college/university outside of the United States OR Are an individual whose first language is one other than English and received your degree from a college/university in United States where instruction was delivered primarily in a language other than English
Summit Place Office Complex
6737 W. Washington St. Suite 1420
West Allis, WI 53214