Fall Application Deadline: October 23, 2020 / Program Start Date: January 19, 2021
Milwaukee Teacher Education Center has a cohort that begins in the Fall (May) and the Spring (January).
Milwaukee Teacher Education Center intern are assigned a mentor who visits the intern’s classroom on a regular basis to set goals, observe and provide feedback on the intern’s knowledge, dispositions, and instructional and classroom practices.
The program is tuition-based and costs approximately $15,600. Tuition costs can change from one year to the next.
Milwaukee Teacher EducationCenter interns are hired as employees of the school or district as serve as teacher-of-record by a school and/or district and earn the equivalent of a beginning teachers’ salary in the school and/or district they are working in.
What are the admission requirements of the program?
- Must have a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education
- Must be eligible for a license with stipulations
- Completed application process (see application requirements)
- Evidence of Basic Skills
- Satisfactory Criminal Background Check
- Admission Interview
- Math or science major or the equivalent of a major for individuals interested in obtaining a math or science certification.
How do I apply?
The following items need to be completed and submitted as part of the applications process:
- Application form
- $65 non-refundable application fee
- 2 official degree-bearing undergraduate transcripts (not “issued to student”) from the college/university that granted your degree
- 1 official transcript from each college/university attended in addition to the institution that granted your degree (e.g. transfer credits, post-Baccalaureate coursework, graduate-level coursework, Master’s coursework)
- 3 professional letters of recommendation dated within the last year and manually signed by the author
When is the application deadline?
Do I need teaching experience to participate in the program?
How long does the program take?
Will I earn a degree through this program?
What courses are required and when are they offered?
Can I use the courses I have previously taken in lieu of some of the courses required in your program?
What is expected of teaching interns?
I would like to teach high school math or science. Do I need to hold a degree in math or science?
I’m interested in teaching high school English or Social Studies. Is Milwaukee Teacher Education Center the right program for me?
Should I quit my current job once I’m accepted in the Initial Teacher Certification Program?
Can I still work other jobs once I start the program?
My undergraduate GPA is below a 2.5. Is there anything I can do?
I’m interested in participating in the Milwaukee Teacher Education Center Initial Teacher Certification program. How do I get started?
Should I wait until I have all my application documents completed and together before I send them in?
Once I submit all my application materials, what happens next?
Whom should I contact if I have questions about the program or I’m experiencing difficulty completing the application process?
What basic skills am I expected to show evidence of?
How do I know if I need to demonstrate English proficiency?
You need to demonstrate English proficiency if you…. Are an individual whose first language is one other than English and received your degree from a college/university outside of the United States OR Are an individual whose first language is one other than English and received your degree from a college/university in United States where instruction was delivered primarily in a language other than English
Summit Place Office Complex
6737 W. Washington St. Suite 1420
West Allis, WI 53214